Service Groups are Welcome!
Long Way Home values the energy and enthusiasm that student and professional service groups bring to the project! We offer a variety of packages to accommodate different budgets and schedule. Our most popular package is $600/person and includes the following:
- Round-trip transportation from Guatemala City Airport to San Juan Comalapa. A LWH staff member will be at the airport for the groups arrival and drive to Comalapa.
- Six night stay at Hotel Comalapa Sol, securely tucked within a typical multi-family complex, providing both the basics of lodging and a window into the local lifestyle. The family who lives there and runs the hotel are some of our closest friends in Comalapa and treat all of our groups like family. The bedroom situation is dorm style with multiple beds in each room and 1 shared bathroom, and 2 private bathrooms. The kitchen located on the first floor has a refrigerator, microwave, and propane stove for preparing meals. Wifi is also available.
- Two meals per day, lunch and dinner. Lunch will be prepared on the work site by a local family every day and dinner will be provided and prepared by a LWH staff member at the hotel. Breakfasts will be your responsibility, but of course we will take one of the group leaders into town to shop for food as soon as possible after your arrival.
- Cultural night at the Hotel where the family will prepare traditional dinner and entertainment will be provided by a local marimba band.
- An overnight excursion to Antigua, which includes accommodations and transportation. The excursion will be chaperoned by the volunteer coordinator, who will be able to show you around the sites and activities that Antigua has to offer.
- Drinking water at both the hotel and the worksite.
We have been hosting groups for a decade and can promise an alternative vacation that is both rewarding and rich in new experiences. Please fill out our application or contact our volunteer coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in learning more about bringing a service group to work on our school!